Information on:

Railroad Museum of Long Island

Railroad Museum of Long Island
416 Griffing Avenue

By 1850 the Long Island Rail Road had lost their monopoly on passenger rail service from Brooklyn to Boston. The search was on for the railroad to create revenue streams to remain viable into the 20th Century. Long Island farmers were interested in ways to transport fresh produce to New York City markets and beyond as quickly as possible. In 1884 the LIRR placed farmers' loaded wagons on flatcars. Fresh fruits and vegetables from Long Island could be at city markets and brokerages the same day they were harvested!

The Railroad Museum of Long Island celebrates America's First "trailer on flatcar" service with this finely detailed Dual Produce TOFC collectible car built by Lionel.  

Production of this Lionel "Traditional O" car, which features die-cast metal trucks and couplers, will be extremely limited to only those who purchase the car in advance. Funds raised from the sale of this car go toward the operation of the Museum, including education/restoration programs, exhibits, collections and the Historic Lionel Layout. 

Railroad Museum of Long Island is not affiliated with AmericanTowns Media